I was asked to write an article for another site where I would be guest posting (an achievement which I'm proud of as I though it'd never happen) and I was told I could write the article on absolutely anything. An sudden flow of ideas rushed to my head but the one that stood out the most was - What are the Top 5 Premier League Greatest Goals of all time. Goals throughout the years sprang to mind: Xabi Alonso from inside his own half, Beckham against Wimbledon, Henry against United and even Figueroa's free-kick from inside his own half - the list is quite frankly endless however one goal stood out and that was Di Canio's volley against Wimbledon, which in my view is easily the greatest goal in Premier League history. A string of beautifully orchestrated passes which led to the 9th minute opener are as equally impressive as the goal. Di Canio's timed his leap impeccably and unleashed an unstoppable volley past the hapless Sullivan into the corner of the net. Di Canio seemed impressed with himself and the celebration showed it but it got me thinking - will we ever see a better goal at Upton Park? A moment of magic, genius or just plain showboating whatever you want to call it, it has not been matched since and has left me pondering. No-one expected Di Canio to do it infact I'm not sure many people knew he had it in him yet on the 26th March 2000 he set Upton Park alight with a moment of individual brilliance. No pressure then ...
| Take a bow son, take a bow. |
No comments:
Post a Comment