Saturday, 30 July 2011

Is it all a little pre-mature?

We've had a pretty decent pre-season, no doubt about it but is it all a little pre-mature? Yeah we beat Real Zaragoza who finished 13th in La Liga last season but that was the first time they have played since May meaning that they were rusty and rough around the edges. Four clean sheets in a row however is impressive and it would appear that Allardyce and the team have made huge strides since the end of last season. Faubert again looked solid and it would appear he has changed his mind and now wants to stay at the club following his outburst last season demanding that could leave in the summer - all positives as I believe he's a good winger and even though it's not his preferred position he has also proved he can play at right-back when required. However I'm not totally convinced and I believe that Cardiff next weekend will be a real test for us and in doing so will set the benchmark for the rest of the season. It's looking increasingly likely that we will keep a hold of Parker, Cole and Green for the curtain-raiser which can only be good - reports suggesting this week that Cole has rejected a move to Stoke to stay at Upton Park next season. Big Sam left the Zaragoza game at half-time to scout a striker - I wonder who that may be? There have been glimpses of promise and hope during pre-season but I won't believe it until I see it and we're a whole week away from that. Plenty time for further improvement.

2 comments:

jaybs said...

It is an encouraging but I am certainly not "wetting myself" like many fans are, thinking promotion is Assured! it's a long fight in the championship, let's see how many points we after a busy August!

Daniel Speller said...

Totally agree - like I said first few performances will shape the rest of the season. Must beat Cardiff for me to get even the slightest bit excited. We're in for a long o' slog.

Post a Comment