Friday, 22 July 2011
Super Matty Taylor?
With the signing of Taylor from Bolton looking imminent, I thought I'd weigh up the deal. For £2.2M we are getting what I believe to be a bargain. A cracking left foot and a good work ethic, Taylor will definitely fit into our side but where? With 4-3-3 reportedly being our formation of choice next season I imagine Allardyce views Taylor as our No1 left back as he is not a centre midfielder and in my opinion would struggle to fit into that role. If Taylor signs it will be interesting to see if our supposed interest in Max Gradel comes to an end or if it carries on will we line up in a 4-4-2 with Barerra right mid and Gradel operating on the left? With us missing out on Gudjohnsen and Cole announcing that he wants to stay in London and looking more and more likely that he will stay our attacking options are looking more or less the same as they were last season - weak. With Hines yet to renew his contract they could be further weakened still. In my opinion we are still three or four players away from being Championship contenders we need a new right back, an attacking midfielder, centre back and a general striker. I honestly think we missed a trick when Bowyer was released by Birmingham as I feel he could of seriously done a job for us next season in a three man midfield - experience and a proven track record in the Championship. Still with just over a month to go and only two players signed - I'm becoming increasingly worried about next season and what it may hold.
Labels:
barerra,
birmingham,
championship,
cole,
gradel,
gudjohnsen,
hines,
taylor,
transfer window,
west ham
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I doubt that Big Sam would invest £2.2m to have Matty T at left back. Sam likes big defenders and Taylor is too small to fit that bill. In my opinion he will operate on the left of midfield in our 4-5-1 formation with Barrera or Sears on the right (doubt we get Gradel unless Barerra is sold). Nolan will operate in behind the lone striker (likely to be Piquionne or Cole) with Noble and Collison in the centre. Agreed a right and left back is still needed but we are likely to be looking at loan signings towards the end of the August window.
Fair comment, 4-5-1 idea is interesting would suit us and fits in with Big Sam's ideals. Agree with loan signings - would love to of seen Naughton sign but he's gone to Norwich. Reckon Barerra will stay and be given a chance until Jan - had a fantastic Gold Cup and impressed. Meaning that if you're right, we'll miss out on Gradel.
Post a Comment